Continuous and Comprehensive Evaluation (CCE) refers to a system of school-based evaluation of students that covers all aspects of a students’ development. It is a developmental process of
a child which emphasizes on two fold objectives. These objectives are continuity in evaluation on one hand and assessment of broad based learning and behavioral outcomes on the other.
Objectives of the Manual on Formative Assessment
1. To clarify the concept of formative assessment within the broad framework of C.C.E.
2. To integrate formative assessments (FA 1, FA 2, FA 3 & FA 4) with the materials prescribed and classroom procedures.
3. To help teachers and learners use formative assessment for enhancing the teaching learning process.
4. To provide a rich source of formative assessment tasks for the units/ lessons in Languages,
Mathematics, Science and Social Science for classes IX and X.
5. To help teachers use the Formative Assessment tasks given in the manuals for generating further tasks on their own.
6. To enable teachers to gain conceptual clarity with regard to Formative and Summative Assessments.
7. To motivate teachers to build their capacity to add value to materials and methods.
8. To help teachers plan and manage time effectively.
9. To provide guidelines to schools to record formative and summative assessments in a systematic manner.
10. To provide scope for teacher development in the area of assessment as well as for consultations and enrichment.
11. To initiate a healthy and meaningful interaction between different stakeholders on CCE and the place of formative assessment in this scheme.
12. To make the teaching – learning process enjoyable for both the teachers and the learners.